Tuesday, five former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from March 15.
Best of the Day: Max Strus
Max Strus (Stagg) has becoming a Swiss army knife for the Miami Heat this season. No matter the situation, he will step in and step up and provide buckets. Strus did not get any playing time until late in the third quarter of the Heat win over the Pistons. He had scored no points and grabbed three points in the third.
He turned it up in the fourth and scored 13 of his 16 points in a 2 minute and 55 second time period to start the quarter. It was just the spark the Heat needed. Heat beat the Detroit Pistons 105-98 down in South Beach.
- Max Strus (Stagg/Miami Heat)- 16 minutes, 16 points, 6/9 Fg, 4/6 3PT, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, a team-high 2 turnover (tied with 2 others), and +1 in a 105-98 win over the Detroit Pistons.
“We really want to be here at the highest level and playing those minutes. When you get your name called you gotta be ready.”-Max Strus
Rest of the Day’s Performances:
- John Konchar (West Chicago/Memphis Grizzlies)- 19 minutes, 9 points, 4/5 FG, 1/2 3PT, 2 offensive, 6 total rebounds, 3 assists, a block, and +1 in 135-102 win over the Indiana Pacers.
- Keifer Sykes (Marshall/Indiana Pacers)- 8 minutes, 4 points, 2/2 FG, 2 assists, a turnover, and a team-high +9 in a 135-102 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Only Pacer with a positive plus-minus for the evening.
- Admiral Schofield (Zion-Benton Township/Orlando Magic)- 13 minutes, 3 points, 1/4 FG, 1/3 3PT, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, a turnover, and -16 on a 150-108 loss to the Brooklyn Nets.
- JaVale McGee (Hales-Franciscan/Phoenix Suns)- 21 minutes, 10 points, 7/10 FG, 5/5 FT, a team-high 2 offensive rebounds, a team-high 6 total rebounds (tied with Aaron Holiday), and a game-high +22 in a 131-115 win over the New Orleans Pelicans.
“Inside the HEAT: Max Strus” is now live. Watch the video and learn more about Stagg’s Max Strus and his journey to the NBA and his time with the Miami Heat and fitting into their culture. Watch here.