Friday, nine former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from March 18.
Best of the Day: JaVale McGee
JaVale McGee (Hales Franciscan) had his fifth game with no misses on two or more shots this season. It was also the forth time he went perfect from the field and the free-throw line as well and actually, the second time it has happened this week.
The fourteen-year does not play more than 15.7 minutes per game but has been a very beneficial piece to the Phoenix Suns this season. He currently leads the team in blocks (1.1) and is second in rebounds (6.7) behind DeAndre Ayton’s 10 rebounds per game. Ayton plays twice the amount of minutes as McGee.
- JaVale McGee (Hales Franciscan/Phoenix Suns)- 18 minutes, 12 points, 4/4 FG, 4/4 FT, an offensive rebounds, a block, a turnover, and +8 in a 129-102 win over the Chicago Bulls.
Rest of the Day’s Performances:
- Ayo Dosunmu (Morgan Park/Chicago Bulls)- 29 minutes, 4 points, 2/9 FG, 0/3 3PT, an offensive rebound, 2 total rebounds, an assist, a steal, a turnover, and -14 in a 129-102 loss to the Phoenix Suns.
- Jalen Brunson (Stevenson/Dallas Mavericks)- 33 minutes, a team-high 24 points, 10/14 FG, 2/3 3PT, 2/2 FT, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and -12 in a 111-101 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Brunson reached 1,000 career assists in this game.
- Sterling Brown (Proviso East/Dallas Mavericks)- 3 minutes, 2 points, 2/2 FT, an offensive rebound, 2 total rebounds, and +3 in a 111-101 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Toronto Raptors)- 47 minutes, 20 points, 8/19 FG, 2/9 3PT, 2/2 FT, 3 rebounds, a team-high 7 assists, a game-high 4 steals, a turnover, and -5 in a 128-103 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.
- John Konchar (West Chicago/Memphis Grizzlies)- 3 minutes, 3 points, 1/1 FG, 1/1 3PT, 2 rebounds, and +2 in a 120-105 loss to the Atlanta Hawks.
- Max Strus (Stagg/Miami Heat)- 31 minutes, 12 points, 4/12 FG, 4/11 3PT, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and +1 in a 120-108 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Isaiah Roby (Dixon/Oklahoma City Thunder)- 19 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, a block, and -5 in a 120-108 loss to the Miami Heat.
- Robert Covington (Proviso West/Los Angeles Clippers)- 30 minutes, 18 points, 6/14 FG, 4/10 3PT, 6 rebounds, an assist, a game-high 3 steals, 2 blocks, a turnover, and -18 in a 121-92 loss to the Utah Jazz.