For many years several states have claimed who ranks as the best state for basketball. Indiana, New York, California, even Texas have tried to state their claims. But the answer is Illinois.
Yes, Illinois ranks third (see below) behind two of those states for most total players but the former Illinois prep stars deserve a bit more respect. Illinois has produced legends and Hall of Famers such as Dwyane Wade, Isiah Thomas, Juwan Howard, Anthony Davis, and so many others.
Each day this season, I will put together a blog featuring the former Illinois prep athletes and their NBA performance from that given day. The posts will include a section call the “best of the day” and then a section to cover all the others. Each section consist of the players stat line from their night and possibly other notable information. Also expect photos and videos of the players as well. Yes, I dropped one of these for a recap of December 28 but here is the first official recap now that there is a clear layout and structure to the whole thing.
Best of the Day: Richaun Holmes
Kings’ Richaun Holmes’ six points in the fourth quarter helped lead the charge in the team’s comeback win over Nuggets.
Richaun Holmes (Lockport/Kings)- 32 minutes, 20 points, 10/13 FG, 0/1 FT, 2 offensive rebounds, 5 total rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, a block, a turnover, and +16 in a 125-115 win over the Nuggets.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Max Strus (Stagg/Heat)- 12 minutes, 7 points, 3/5 FG, 1/3 3PT, an assist, and -7 in a 144-97 loss to the Bucks. This was Strus’ regular season debut for the Heat and his seven points were a NBA career high.
- Isaiah Roby (Dixon/Thunder)- 28 minutes, 19 points, 9/12 FG, 1/2 3PT, 0/3 FT, 4 offensive rebounds, 7 total rebounds, a steal, 2 blocks, and -13 in a 118-107 loss to the Magic. This was Roby’s first career NBA start.
- Kendrick Nunn (Simeon/Heat)- 31 minutes, 15 points, 6/17 FG, 1/6 3PT, 2/2 FT, 1 offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, 6 assists, a steal, a block, a turnover, and -28 in a 144-97 loss to the Bucks.
- Frank Kaminsky (Benet/Suns)- 7 minutes, 3 points, 1/4 FG, 1/2 FT, 1 offensive rebound, 2 rebounds, -12 in a 111-86 win over the Pelicans.
- Jevon Carter (Proviso East/Suns)- 19 minutes, 0/5 FG, 0/3 3PT, a rebound, an assist, and -3 in a 111-86 win over the Pelicans.
- Derrick Rose (Simeon/Pistons)- 26 minutes, 15 points, 6/18 FG, 1/4 3PT, 2/2 FT, 1 offensive rebound, 2 total rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers, and +8 in a 116-106 loss to the Warriors.
- JaVale McGee (Franciscan/Cavaliers)- 16 minutes, 11 points, 5/7 FG, 5 offensive rebounds, 9 total rebounds, a steal, a block, 2 turnovers, and -5 in a 95-86 loss to the Knicks.
- Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Raptors)- 37 minutes, 8 points, 3/12 FG, 2/8 3PT, 1 offensive rebound, 6 total rebounds, 6 assists, a steal, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers, and -15 in a 100-93 loss to the 76ers.