Thursday evening, six former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in a NBA game to close out 2020. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from December 31.
Best of the Day: Fred VanVleet
Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Raptors)- 36 minutes, 25 points, 9/19 FG, 4/9 3PT, 3/3 FT, 1 offensive rebound, 5 total rebounds, 7 assists, a steal, a block, a turnover, and +21 in a 100-83 win over the Knicks.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Jevon Carter (Proviso East/Suns)- 11 minutes, 9 points, 4/5 FG, 1/1 3PT, 3 rebounds, and +13 in a 106-95 win over the Jazz. Entered the night shooting just 3-of-18 from the field and 1-of-13 from beyond the arc through his first four games. A night like this is a huge confidence boost for a player not landing their shots. Carter was seen putting up shots late Tuesday night after the Suns game.
- Frank Kaminsky (Benet/Suns)- 2 minutes and +1 in a 106-95 win over the Jazz.
- Richaun Holmes (Lockport/Kings)- 36 minutes, 22 points, 10/13 FG, 2/2 FT, 4 offensive rebounds, 13 total rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, a block, a turnover, and -2 in a 122-119 loss to the Rockets.
- Isaiah Roby (Dixon/Thunder)- 18 minutes, 7 points, 3/5 FG, 0/2 3PT, 1/4 FT, 2 offensive rebounds, 6 total rebounds, 2 turnovers, and -18 in a 113-80 loss to the Pelicans. Roby and the Thunder took the loss but Roby and one of his teammates weren’t satisfied. The two stayed around and got in some post-game shots.
- JaVale McGee (Franciscan/Cavaliers)- 14 minutes, 7 points, 3/11 FG, 0/1 3PT, 1/6 FT, 6 offensive rebounds, 13 total rebounds, a block, a turnover, and -21 in a 119-99 loss the Pacers.
Happy Friday and hope you’re as energized entering 2021 as Jevon Carter.