Saturday evening, six former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in a NBA game. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from January 16.
Best of the Day: Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose was the second highest scorer for the Detroit Pistons in Saturday’s 120-100 defeat of the Miami Heat team.
- Derrick Rose (Simeon/Pistons)- 21 minutes, 23 points, 8/12 FG, 3/5 3PT, 4/5 FT, a rebound, 4 assists, 4 steals, a turnover, and +2 in a 120-100 win over the Heat.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Andre Iguodala (Lanphier/Heat)- 21 minutes, 0/3 FG, 0/3 3PT, a rebound, an assist, 2 turnovers, and -8 in a 120-100 loss to the Pistons.
- Kendrick Nunn (Simeon/Heat)- 27 minutes, 7 points, 3/6 FG, 1/2 3PT, an offensive rebound, 5 total rebounds, an assist, 5 turnovers, and -1 in a 120-100 loss to the Pistons. Started game 3 for 3 from the field.
- Max Strus (Stagg/Heat)- 8 minutes, an assist, and -2 (second/third-best of the night for the Heat) in a 120-100 loss to the Pistons. GAME OF DEFENSE!
- Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Raptors)- 36 minutes, 15 points, 4/16 FG, 3/10 3PT, 4/4 FT, 7 rebounds, 10 assists, a block, a turnover, and +7 in a 116-113 win over the Hornets. VanVleet must having the ultimate green light because it seems like he puts up over 15 shots a game.
- Robert Covington (Proviso West/Trail Blazers)- 28 minutes, 3 points, 1/13 FG, 1/7 3PT, 2 offensive rebounds, 10 total rebounds, 3 assists, a steal, a block, a turnover, and +0 in a 112-106 win over the Hawks. Even when he’s not scoring, he’s still filling up his box score.