Tuesday evening, seven former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in a NBA game. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from May 3.
Best of the day: Derrick Rose
Simeon’s Derrick Rose is 10 years replaced from becoming the youngest NBA MVP but still is making meaningful impacts. Since rejoining the Knicks, Rose is averaging 14.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 4.1 assists in 26.3 minutes per game- mostly off the bench. His shooting splits are .477/.400/.862 over his 29 games (3 starts) as a Knick this season.
The New York Knicks are 21-8 in games played by Derrick Rose.
- Derrick Rose (Simeon/Knicks)- 27 minutes, 25 points, 11/15 FG, 3/5 3PT, 3 rebounds, a steal, a turnovers and +16 in a 118-104 win over the Grizzlies.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Anthony Davis (Perspectives/Lakers)- 33 minutes, a team-high 25 points, 9/19 FG, 1/2 3PT, 6/7 FT, an offensive rebound, a team-high 7 total rebounds (tied with Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Marc Gasol), an assist, a team-high 3 blocks, 4 turnovers, and +3 in a 93-89 win over the Nuggets.
- Talen Horton-Tucker (Simeon/Lakers)- 21 minutes, 10 points, 4/7 FG, 2/2 FT, an offensive rebound, 3 assists, a game-high 5 turnovers, and +2 in a 93-89 win over the Nuggets.
- JaVale McGee (Franciscan/Nuggets)- 12 minutes, 10 points, 5/7 FG, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, an assist, a block, 2 turnovers, and -7 in a 93-89 loss to the Lakers.
- Keita Bates-Diop (University/Spurs)- 4 minutes, 0/1 FG, 0/1 3PT, a rebound, and +2 in a 110-99 loss to the Jazz.
- Chasson Randle (Rock Island/Magic)- 30 minutes, 18 points, 6/10 FG, 2/3 3PT, 4/5 FT, an offensive rebound, 5 total rebounds, 3 assists, a turnover, and -6 in a 119-112 win over the Pistons.
- Robert Covington (Proviso West/Trail Blazers)- 32 minutes, 9 points, 3/7 FG, 3/5 3PT, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a game-high 3 steals, a block, a turnover, and -8 in a 123-114 loss to the Hawks.