Courtney Vandersloot is the Chicago Sky’s court general and tried to do everything in her power to extend the Sky’s series lead. With the Mercury up late in the fourth, Vandersloot would hit a big layup to tie the game and send it to overtime. Unfortunately for the Sky, Mercury’s potent offense of Brittney Griner, Skylar Diggins-Smith, and Diana Taurasi were too much to overcome, Mercury even the series 1-1 heading into Chicago with their 91-86 overtime win over the Sky.
Courtney Vandersloot finished the night with 20 points and 14 assists which was her fourth double-double of the playoffs. Four total Sky players were in double figures.
Brittney Griner was the dominated force that kept the Mercury in the game from the start. She finished with 29 points and 9 rebounds. Much like the Sky, the Mercury also had four players in double figures. Skylar Diggins-Smith had the other double-double of the game with her 13 point-12 assist performance.
Sky shot 46.3 from the field but just 31 percent from beyond the arc. They also only attempted four free-throw all game.
- Courtney Vandersloot- 41 minutes, 20 points, 9/15 FG, 2/6 3 PT, 3 rebounds, 14 assists, 5 steals, a block, 6 turnovers, and +3.
- Allie Quigley- 36 minutes, 19 points, 7/20 FG, 3/12 3PT, 2/2 FT, 6 rebounds (1 offensive), an assist, a turnover, and a turnover, and +7.
- Brittney Griner- 41 minutes, 29 points, 12/19 FG, 0/1 3PT, 5/5 FT, 9 rebounds (1 offensive), an assist, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers, and +7.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith– 42 minutes, 13 points, 5/18 FG, 1/6 3PT, 2/2 FT, 7 rebounds (4 offensive), 12 assists, a steal, 2 turnovers, and +1.
- Diana Taurasi- 39 minutes, 20 points (8 in OT), 7/16, 4/13 3PT, 2/2 FT, 4 rebounds, a steal, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers, and +4.
Sky and Mercury now head to Chicago to play Game 3 and 4 of the WNBA Finals at Wintrust Arena. Game 3 tips off at 8:00 p.m. CT on Friday, October 15. Tickets for both Game 3 and 4 are sold out but fans can catch the next game on ESPN2.