Friday evening, nine former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in a NBA game. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from December 10.
Best of the Day: JaVale McGee
Hales Franciscan grad JaVale McGee has done a lot since leaving Chicago. He’s made several stops around the NBA and has even earned two of the highest accolades the sport has to offer- a NBA title and an Olympic gold medal. After 14 years in the league, he’s still making improvements and finding ways to fit in with his new teammates. While he spends most games coming off the bench, he will find a ways to make meaningful impacts in his limited minutes a night. Friday, he got just his seventh start of the season but walked a way with his fourth double-double and a big Suns win.
- JaVale McGee (Hales Franciscan/Phoenix Suns)- 26 minutes, 21 points, 9/16 FG, 1/2 3PT, 2/2 FT, a game-high 7 offensive rebounds, a game-high 15 total rebounds, 2 assists, a game-high 2 blocks (tied with several others), and +18 in a 111-90 win over the Boston Celtics.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Jalen Brunson (Stevenson/Dallas Mavericks)- 31 minutes, 14 points, 7/12 FG,0/1 3PT, 2 offensive rebounds, 7 total rebounds, an assist, a steal, two turnovers, and -14 in a 106-93 loss to the Indiana Pacers.
- Talen Horton-Tucker (Simeon/Los Angeles Lakers)- 25 minutes, 11 points, 4/7 FG, 2/3 3PT, 1/2 FT, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, 2 turnovers, and +12 in 116-95 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Isaiah Roby (Dixon/Oklahoma City Thunder)- 5 minutes, 2 points, 1/3 FG, 2 offensive rebounds, 2 total rebounds, a turnover, and a plus-minus of 0 in a 116-95 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jevon Carter (Proviso East/Brooklyn Nets)- 4 minutes, an assist, and -2 in a 113-104 win over the Atlanta Hawks.
- Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Toronto Raptors)- 38 minutes, 17 points, 4/13 FG, 4/11 3PT, 5/5 FT, 2 offensive rebounds, 6 total rebounds, a game-high 11 assists, a game-high 3 steals (tied with Gary Trent Jr.), a block, a game-high 3 turnovers (tied with two others), and +13 in a 90-87 win over the New York Knick
- Derrick Rose (Simeon/New York Knicks)- 33 minutes, 11 points, 5/13 FG, 1/3 3PT, 2 offensive rebounds, 6 total rebounds, 4 assists, a game-high 3 turnovers (tied with two others), and +8 in a 90-87 loss to the Raptors.
- Patrick Beverly (Marshall/Minnesota Timberwolves)- 28 minutes, 7 points, 2/7 FG, 1/4 3PT, 2/2 FT, 2 offensive rebounds, 3 total rebounds, a team-high 7 assists, a steal, a turnover, and -24 in a 23-106 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Jabari Parker (Simeon/Boston Celtics)- 5 minutes, 4 points, 1/3 FG, 2/2 FT, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, and +1 in a 111-90 loss to the Phoenix Suns.
Marshall grad Alfonzo McKinnie has signed a 10-day contract with his hometown team- the Chicago Bulls.