Sunday evening, seven former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from December 12.
Best of the Day: Jalen Brunson
Jalen Brunson has had a storied career because of his high school success at Stevenson and then at Villanova for college. While he still looking for some NBA glory, he’s become a valuable piece in the Dallas Mavericks system. He tends to come off the bench most games and ends up putting starter quality minutes which results in him getting spot starts throughout the season. Whether he’s coming off the bench or getting the start, he’ll provide buckets but also just about everything else the team needs.
- Jalen Brunson (Stevenson/Dallas Mavericks)- 31 minutes, a game-high 18 points (tied with another), 6/14 FG, 1/4 3PT, 5/6 FT, an offensive rebound, a game-high 9 rebounds (tied with another), 3 assists, a team-hight 2 turnovers, and a game-high +22 in a 103-84 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The rest of the performances of the day:
- Talen Horton-Tucker (Simeon/Los Angeles Lakers)- 30 minutes, 19 points, 7/14 FG, 3/6 3PT, 2/4 FT, an offensive rebound, 3 assists, a game-high 6 steals, a turnover, and a game-high +14 (tied with LeBron James) in a 106-94 win over the Orlando Magic. His six steals in last night’s win is a new career-high.
- Derrick Rose (Simeon/New York Knicks)- 37 minutes, 18 points, 8/16 FG, 2/6 3PT, 2 rebounds, a team-high 7 assists (tied with Julius Randle), a game-high 3 steals (tied with a couple of others), 2 turnovers, and -7 in a 112-97 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Jevon Carter (Proviso East/Brooklyn Nets)- 5 minutes, 0/1 FG, 4 rebounds, an assist, a steal, 2 turnovers, and -1 in a 117-104 win over the Detroit Pistons.
- Keita Bates-Diop (University/San Antonio Spurs)- 1 minute, a turnover, and -4 in a 112-97 win over the New Orleans Pelicans.
- Patrick Beverly (Marshall/Minnesota Timberwolves)- 34 minutes, 10 points, 3/10 FG, 2/4 3PT, 2/2 FT, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, a team-high 3 steals (tied with Jarred Vanderbilt), a turnover, and +6 in a 116-111 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.
- Robert Covington (Proviso West/Portland Trail Blazer)- 34 minutes, 3 points, 1/6 FG, 1/5 3PT, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, a game-high 5 steals, a game-high 4 steals, a turnover, and +9 in a 116-111 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves.