Sunday evening, six former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from December 26.
Best of the Day: John Konchar
Memphis Grizzlies gave West Chicago’s John Konchar his first career start on Sunday. Konchar capitalized by also completing his his first double-double after scoring 11 points and grabbing 14 rebounds.
- John Konchar (West Chicago/Memphis Grizzlies)- 28 minutes, 11 points, 4/8 FG, 1/3 3PT, 2/2 FT, 5 offensive rebounds, a game-high 14 total rebounds, 3 assists, a team-high 2 steals (tied with many others), a team-high 2 blocks (tied with Jaren Jackson Jr.), and +20 in a 127-102 win over the Sacramento Kings.
The Rest of the Day’s Performances
- Richaun Holmes (Lockport/Sacramento)- 13 minutes, 0/4 FG, 2 offensive rebounds, 4 total rebounds, an assist, 2 blocks, a turnover, and -15 in a 127-102 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Max Strus (Stagg/Miami Heat)- 35 minutes, 13 points, 4/11 FG, 3/9 3PT, 2/2 FT, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, a turnover, and -1 in a 93-83 win over the Orlando Magic. Third career NBA start.
- Admiral Schofield (Zion-Benton Township/Orlando Magic)- 26 minutes, 6 points, 3/7 FG, 0/4 3PT, 6 rebounds, an assist, a game-high 1 block (tied with many others), and -8 in a 93-83 loss to the Miami Heat.
- Keita Bates-Diop (University/San Antonio Spurs)- 25 minutes, 10 points, 3/4 FG, 4/5 FT, an offensive rebounds, 6 total rebounds, 2 assists, and +13 in a 144-109 win over the Detroit Pistons.
- Ayo Dosunmu (Morgan Park/Chicago Bulls)- 23 minutes, 6 points, 3/4 FG, 0/1 3PT, 0/2 FT, 2 rebounds, a block, 2 turnovers, and +6 in a 113-105 win over the Indiana Pacers. Dosunmu missed the last three games after being put into NBA’s health and safety protocol due to COVID concerns.
Alfonzo McKinnie (Marshall) is currently in the NBA’s health and safety protocol but did sign with the Chicago Bulls for the remainder of the season. In 3 games with the team, McKinnie is averaging 8 points, 2.3 rebounds, and an assist in 15 minutes per game. He is currently shooting 45 percent from the field and 50 percent from beyond the arc.