Monday evening, nine former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from December 27.
Best of the Day: Malcolm Hill
Malcolm Hill (Belleville East/Atlanta Hawks) made his NBA debut on Christmas Day but did not record any stats. In his second NBA game, he got a bit more playing time and added to his stat sheet. He even forced an 8-second call on Chicago Bull’s DeMar DeRozan. One thing Hill is still waiting on his first NBA field goal.
- Malcolm Hill (Belleville East/Atlanta Hawks)- 15 minutes, 4 points, 4/4 FT, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, a steal, and +1 in a 130-118 loss to the Chicago Bulls.
The Rest of the Day’s Performances
- Ayo Dosunmu (Morgan Park/Chicago Bulls)- 25 minutes, 8 points, 4/6 FG, 0/2 3PT, 2 assist, a block, a turnover, and +9 in a 130-118 win over the Atlanta Hawks. His +9 was the highest plus-minus of all the bench players and the fourth highest overall.
- Jabari Parker (Simeon/Boston Celtics)- 9 minutes, 3 points, 1/3 FG, 1/2 3PT, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, a turnover, and -5 in a 108-105 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Keita Bates-Diop (University/San Antonio Spurs)- 16 minutes, 2 points, 1/4 Fg, 0/1 3PT, 0/2 FT, a rebound, 2 assists, a steal, a block, a turnover, and -11 in a 110-104 loss to the Utah Jazz.
- John Konchar (West Chicago/Memphis Grizzlies)- 34 minutes, 7 points, 3/4 FG, 1/2 FG, 2 offensive rebounds, 9 total rebounds, 2 assists, a team-high 2 steals (tied with several others), a turnover, and +3 in a 114-113 win over the Phoenix Suns.
- JaVale McGee (Hales Franciscan/Phoenix Suns)- 22 minutes, 6 points, 3/4 FG, an offensive rebound, 4 total rebounds, 3 assist, a turnover, and a game-worst -17 in a 114-113 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Jevon Carter (Proviso East/Brooklyn Nets)- 12 minutes, 6 points, 2/6 FG, 2/6 3PT, an offensive rebound, 3 total rebounds, a block, a turnover, and +12 in a 124-108 win over the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Jalen Brunson (Stevenson/Dallas Mavericks)- 29 minutes, 14 points, 6/12 FG, 0/4 3PT, 2/2 FT, 4 rebounds, 9 assists, a steal, a turnover, and +14 in a 132-117 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.
- Sterling Brown (Proviso East/Dallas Mavericks)- 5 minutes, 3 points, 1/1 FG, 1/1 3PT, an assist, a turnover, and -3 in a 132-117 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.
Keifer Sykes (Marshall) is being called-up to play for the Indiana Pacers. Sykes is averaging 16.5 points, a league-best 8.0 assist, 4.3 rebounds, and 1.3 steals through 13 G-League games for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
I’ve played on five continents. I’ve actually played on eight teams in the last two years. It feels good to finally [get to the NBA]. I want to make it last.Keifer Sykes on signing with Indiana Pacers.