Sunday evening, nine former Illinois prep athletes saw minutes in various NBA games. Below I look into and share each of their NBA performances from January 2.
Best of the Day: Fred VanVleet
Fred VanVleet (Auburn) belongs in the NBA All-Star Game. He currently leads the Toronto Raptors in minutes (37.7), points (20.9), and assist (6.7); third in steals (1.6); and tied for fourth in blocks (0.5).
- Fred VanVleet (Auburn/Toronto Raptors)- 31 minutes, a game-high 35 points, 11/17 FG, 7/13 3PT, 6/6 FT, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, and a +16 in a 120-105 win over the New York Knicks.
The Rest of the Day’s Performances
- Jabari Parker (Simeon/Boston Celtics)- 7 minutes, 0/1 FG, 0/1 3PT, 3 rebounds, a turnover, and +5 in a 116-111 overtime win over the Orlando Magic.
- Admiral Schofield (Zion-Benton Township)- 18 minutes, 0/4 FG, 0/2 3PT, a rebound, and +6 in a 116-111 overtime loss to the Boston Celtics.
- Keifer Sykes (Marshall/Indiana Pacers)- 35 minutes, 10 points, 4/10 FG, 2/7 3PT, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, a block, a game-high 3 turnovers (tied with a few others), and +7 in a 108-104 loss to the Cleveland Pacers. First NBA start for Keifer Sykes. He also made his first NBA three.
“I was really proud of Keifer Sykes tonight, who played his best game as a pro. Duane Washington had 20 points. Those two kids fought their butts off.”-Indiana Pacers head coach Rick Carlisle on Keifer Sykes (and Duane Washington)
- Jalen Brunson (Stevenson/Dallas Mavericks)- 29 minutes, 12 points, 6/12 FG, 0/1 3PT, a rebound, 7 assists, a steal, 2 turnovers, and a zero plus-minus in a 95-86 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Sterling Brown (Proviso East/Dallas Mavericks)- 10 minutes, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, a turnover, and +4 in a 95-86 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Isaiah Roby (Dixon/Oklahoma City Thunder)- 20 minutes, 12 points, 5/5 FG, 1/1 3PT, 1/2 FT, 3 offensive rebounds, 4 total rebounds, an assist, a turnover, and +5 in a 95-86 loss to the Dallas Mavericks.
- Talen Horton-Tucker (Simeon/Los Angeles Lakers)- 23 minutes, 6 points, 2/7 FG, 0/2 3PT, 2/2 FT, an offensive rebounds, 5 total rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, 2turnovers, and +10 in a 108-103 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Patrick Beverly (Marshall/Minnesota Timberwolves)- 31 minutes, 12 points, 5/12 FG, 2/5 3PT, 4 offensive rebounds, 9 total rebounds, a game-high 6 assists, a team-high 2 steals (tied with Jarred Vanderbilt), a team-high 1 block (tied with Anthony Edwards), 4 turnovers, and +5 in a 108-103 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.