The Name, Image, and Likeness programs have grown quite a bit since college athletes have been granted the ability to earn money on and for themselves. The latest to join the craze is the Chicago White Sox with their announcement of the “CHISOX Athlete” NIL program.
White Sox aren’t the first to do something in the NIL space as the Atlanta Braves and Florida Panthers started their programs last year. Similarities between the grams can found through the three.
The goal of the program to “help empower athletes, their voices and careers both on and off the field.” This program stresses a “student-first” approach for each athlete as it opens up financial and professional marketing opportunities to help grow each athletes “brand” and “platforms.”
The inaugural class of CHISOX athletes feature eight locals college athletes that also currently attend several midwest universities. Those include:
- Ahamad Bynum (DePaul Men’s Basketball, Chicago)
- Kylie Feuerbach (Iowa Women’s Basketball, Sycamore, Illinois)
- A.J. Henning (Michigan Men’s Football, Frankfort, Illinois)
- Anaya Peoples (DePaul Women’s Basketball, Danville, Illinois)
- Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois Men’s Basketball, Chicago)
- Temi Thomas-Ailara (Northwestern Women’s Volleyball, Glenwood, Illinois)
- Cameron Williams (Michigan Women’s Basketball, Chicago)
- Kiki Van Zanten (Notre Dame Women’s Soccer, Buffalo Grove, Illinois)
If you are wondering why there are no baseball or softball athletes, it is because there are certain MLB and NCAA guidelines that prevent clubs from engaging with certain athlete which include those two sports.
The first CHISOX Athlete to visit Guaranteed Rate Field was Terrence Shannon Jr.
Lastly, White Sox are opening up an opportunity for all college student-athletes this season.
Through the provided link at the bottom of this article, student-athletes with a valid “.edu” email address and a link to their athletic bio can receive two complimentary upper-level tickets to selects games for the remainder of the 2022 season.
For more on the program visit, whitesox.com/nil.